US beverage imports require FDA registration number

Did you know… all beverages that are exported to the USA are required to have a US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) registration number?

Under U.S. law, specifically the U.S. Federal Food, Drug and Cosmetic Act, beverages can only be imported if they are deemed safe, sanitary, and labelled according to U.S. requirements.

Here’s what you need to know about obtaining or renewing your FDA registration number:

  • It is the beverage exporter that must initiate the US FDA registration, not the US importer.
  • Registration renewal happens every two years, on even-numbered years (2022, 2024, etc.), between October and December.
  • The FDA requires a separate, unique facility identifier number during registration and renewals. The Data Universal Numbering System (DUNS) creates a unique number for each importer, to identify the physical location where the product originates.
  • The name and contact information on the FDA registration must be an exact match, to the DUNS number contact information


For example, if the FDA registration number identifies "ABC Manufacturing LLC" at "123 Main Street" but the DUNS number info is listed as "ABC Manufacturing LLC" at "123 Main St." the registration will be denied.  All information and punctuation must be an exact match or the registration may be cancelled.   

Failure to do any of the above could result in shipments being denied entry into the US.

Where Hillebrand Gori is the nominated US Agent, our local office will reach out to each active supplier to start the renewal process. For any new suppliers or questions, please send your inquiries to [email protected].

Helpful links

  • Look up your DUNS number here.
  • For more information about the renewal process and requirements visit the FDA website here or reach out to your local Hillebrand Gori office.

How can we help your business grow?